Alliance Française de Melbourne
Founded in 1890, the Alliance Française de Melbourne (AFM) is an Australian not-for-profit association dedicated to the promotion of the French language and culture. It is the largest language school for French in Victoria with an average of 3,000 students per year.
Why Learn French with us?
All our native French speaking teachers are trained to teach French as a foreign language. Our methods focus on real-life communication and we favour activities that promote interactions in French within the classroom.
We offer a large range of courses for all ages and levels including:
DURING SCHOOL TERM:
- 10 week courses After-school classes enabling students to revise and improve their skills. From $300 for a 15h course. (For Y7 to 10 and VCE students)
DURING SCHOOL HOLIDAYS
- 2 to 3 week summer courses 2 to 3-hour daily classes in January in the morning or in the afternoon. From $300 for a 15h course. (For Y7 to 10 and VCE students)
- 1 week intensive courses 2.5-hour daily classes over 1 week over 1 week each afternoon. From $250 for a 12.5h course. (For Y7 to 10 and VCE students)
- 1-day immersion program Organised for VCE students from 10am to 4:30pm on Saturday. $160, lunch and afternoon tea included. Sat 25 June: exam format preparation; Sun 18 Sept: oral exam preparation; Nov (date TBC): written exam preparation
- Weekend immersion program. From Friday to Sunday at the beach in Portsea! 8-20 March: VCE students; 9-11 September: Year 10. $395 all inclusive
BERTHE MOUCHETTE COMPETITION
Named in honour of the Alliance Française de Melbourne’s founder, the well-known Berthe Mouchette Competition created in 1894 is open to students of French from Grade 3 to Year 12 and attracts thousands of candidates each year who bring French poetry to life through recitals. AFX Student Exchange offers a 5 week One Way Program to France for the Year 11 winner of the competition.
- Flexible scheduling – when & where it suits you.
TESTS & DIPLOMAS
- The AFM is the only accredited examination centre to conduct all the diplomas issued by the French Ministry of Education as DELF and DALF exams, along with the TCF, TCFQ, TEF and TEFAQ.